5 Side Hustles to Help Pay Off Student Loans
Student loan debt has been a major burden, especially for Black Americans. Here are 5 side hustles to help you pay off your student loans.
Although the student loan payments grace period has been extended until February 2022, it’s good to think ahead. Our community has shown many times how creative and resourceful we can be when we put our #BlackExcellence and #BlackCreativity to work.
Here are 5 side hustles to make extra money to help pay your student loan debt:
- Start freelancing. According to the Freelancers Union survey, by 2027 50.9% of the U.S. population will be freelancing. This is where you can turn your skills into cash! There are many platforms that are helping students find gigs. If you are good at writing, join the Black Writers Collective. This community platform will not only post job opportunities and connect you with people in this industry, but it will guide you and help you grow as a writer. Incluzion.co is another great, diversity-focused platform that amplifies freelancing to Black and minority professionals. Not sure where to start? Check out this article to learn more.
- Become a driver. If you own a car and enjoy driving, working for Moovn might be the side hustle for you. Moovn is a Black-owned app that is engineered by young, innovative entrepreneurs with a great reputation for putting their drivers first. If you aren’t thrilled about having other passengers you can try out working for their delivery platform MoovnRUSH!
- Get paid to take surveys. It’s as simple as it sounds, all you have to do is register, answer questions honestly, and get paid for it. Two good websites people use are SurveyJunkie.com and Findfocusgroups.com. Who knew it could be this easy?
- Sell things you don’t need. We all have at least one thing we brought to college and then realized we don’t need nor really use. Why not sell it and turn it into cash? Reselling has now become a very popular side hustle. Platforms like Etsy, Poshmark, or Mercari can help you sell in the comfort of your home while giving new life and meaning to these items for others.
- Become an influencer. Influencers have become big businesses and companies are continuously seeking new promotional opportunities. But can you make good money? Khaby Lame is one of the most followed TikTokers in the world and his net worth is now between $1 – $2 million! Instagram, TikTok, YouTube… There are many platforms that you can use. Choose a topic that you are strong about, stay true to yourself, create content others will love, and share away!
Keep in mind that extra income does not mean you have more money to spend if you want to pay off your student debts. Revisit your budget and build a savings plan. A fast, simple, and efficient way that could help you save money is by joining our AutoSave program. This is a simple and efficient solution that automatically rounds up your daily transactions from your debit card purchases to the nearest dollar amount and transfers your total change into your savings account.